RSS

Magical Creatures

05 Dec

For my first December post, here are some drawings of black mystical and magical creatures:

Pixel Randomness by Little Merokochan

The Nameless Lady by Zardra

Pulled Back by Kira the Artist

In Her Eyes There Is Beauty by Ebony-Chan

Black Panther by Kira the Artist

Unknown

Mermaids

From No Good Habits

Jennifer the Little Mermaid by Hop2pop

Black Mermaids: The Faces of Yemaya

Via African Mythology Tumblr:

Art by Jasing Dreams

Jengu (Meingu is the plural)

Mermaid/Water spirit/Deity

Rivers, Seas, Ocean, Lakes

Origins – Sawa, Duala, Bakeweri (Cameroon)

Very similar to Mami Wata figure although the belief of meingu may predate Mami Wata traditions.

They are often depicted as very beautiful people with large eyes, wooly/kinky hair and gap toothed smiles. Although appearances of meingu can often differ from person to person. A jengu can often look more human or more fish-like.

The meingu live in rivers and seas and are said to bring good fortune to those who worship the,. They can cure diseases and act as medium between the the worshipers and the spirit world.

About these ads

14 Comments

Posted by on December 5, 2011 in Art

Tags: , , , , ,

14 responses to “Magical Creatures

1. asantewaa

December 20, 2011 at 4:05 AM

this is beautiful. how can some one access your art. They would be great teaching tools

• Aker

December 20, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Oh thank you, but they are not mine. If you want to find about more about the artists who did them, click on the orange links above the pictures. Thanks again for viewing my blog.

2. Christoper Pezzimenti

January 10, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Does your site have a contact page? I’m having a tough time locating it but, I’d like to shoot you an e-mail. I’ve got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.

3. Mindlos

February 28, 2012 at 12:20 PM

the mami wata are and were actually originally represented as giant snakes. but contact between african people and traders influenced this represantation to become mermaids, i wish the art would represent original african thought.but it gotta start somewhere i guess.

• Aker

February 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Hello,

I know mami wata is associated with snakes, many depictions of her still show her with them or as one. She is also associated with water, so the creolization of her image as mermaid does make sense. Many culture associate women, snakes (wisdom, spiral) and water together. Both versions are just as legitimate from the various cultures of the diaspora. Both the person who wrote the piece and I just forgot to mention that in there, but anyone can go look up mami wata and see the image with snakes.

4. Takayu

April 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Wow! Thanks for this post. These are very hard to find! Who are the artists?

5. Takayu

April 28, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Oh…I see the links to the artists….These images are very beautiful exactly the type of art to help user in the new age!

• Aker

April 30, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Yes, they are very beautiful and inspiring!

6. click here

May 29, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Have you considered including several social bookmarking buttons to these sites. At least for myspace.

7. asante

May 23, 2013 at 9:58 PM

• Aker

May 29, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Thank you! I liked the page!

8. nadine beauzile

October 2, 2013 at 9:03 AM

hi, i like the yemaya murmaid pic for logo pic, can i use it . can i contact the artist.

• Aker

October 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM

well the website for the art seems to no longer be available and I don’t have the artist’s name, so I’m not sure, but I’ll see if I can find the artist.